Saturday, September 11, 2010

31 weeks - Back in the hospital :(

So... we went in for our routine dr. appt on Tuesday (I might add this was the one time I did not bring my hospital bag) and first thing they do is check my cervix. Sadly, I was down to a measly 8mm :( It's really scary to think about how little 8mm really is - and that is all that is holding these babies in. I was so frusrtated to say the least. On a positive note, they did measure the babies and baby boy weighed in at 3 pounds 5 ounces and baby girl was 3 pounds 3 ounces and the fluid and heart rates on both were excellent.

Needless to say, Dr. Garner admitted me back in the hospital for bedrest. As soon as they got me upstairs and hooked up to the monitor - sure enough I was contracting about every 5 or so minutes. They gave me a shot of terbutaline which stopped the contractions - and surprisingly wasn't quite as bad as the last time. I did however spend the next day in a sad and scary place, pretty much crying all day wondering if there was anything I could have done - and feeling like a failure. On Thursday, they did another ffn test (which if you remember from my previous stint in the hospital - is a test to see if I am in danger of going into labor in the next 2 weeks) thankfully, the test came back negative -whew! After that and not having any contractions - I felt much less scared and releived that they would at least stay put for another 2 weeks. My goal is to get to at least 35 weeks - idealy 37. Hopefully being in the hospital and the close monitoring will allow me to reach my goal and have healthy chunky babies (welll as chunky as twins can be).   
Last night (Friday), I had about 3 or 4 contractions in a half hour (you shouldn't have more than 6 in an hour) - so my nurse was a little concerned and had me down a ton of water to see if that would do the trick - luckily it did! I hate to think about what could have happened if I were still at home and contracting without knowing it - since that is what is causing my cervix to shorten. This morning my monitoring was good - just a little bit of irritability. They are going to check on the babies and my cervix again on Monday - but Dr. G said that he was going to release me from the hospital in a few weeks (33/34ish weeks) - so by the end of the month I will get to go back home and just let nature take its course. I am very thankful to have the option to go home before the babies get here - I know some doctors make you stay for the duration.
This has been one crazy week to say the least. In addition to all this going down on Tuesday - Jason also started his new job! He is now a senior sales engineer for an IT company called ABP International. He is getting to work along side one of his previous bosses. The poor guy has really been stretched thin this week. As soon as he gets off work at 6 - he comes home, feeds the dog, picks up whatever I might need from the house, picks up something to eat, and comes to hospital - then he usually leaves here around 10:30, and starts it all over again the next day. I really am lucky to have such an amazing hubby - I don't know what I would do without him.
In other news, the other day was pretty exciting as hospital bedrest goes... we had a code black at the hospital. Since there were so many tornados touching down in Dallas, they had all of us move out of our rooms and into conference rooms without windows. We were only there for about 15 minutes before they canceled the code black - but my nurse said that she has been working here for 16 years and this was only the second time she has had a code black! It also seems that I will have to relocate my church baby shower to the hospital - which should be interesting :) Poor Jason is going to have to be the one to take care of buying all things we don't get from showers, wash all the clothes and sheets, put everything away, do my nesting for me, AND find and buy a new car (tahoe) - that's quite the honey do list - I really wish I could do something to help :( And poor Lucy, she's already getting the shaft and the babies aren't even here yet! I wish I could cuddle with her and love on her since I know it will likely be a while before she gets any attention again. Jason is actually going to bring her up here next week - I hope she doesn't wig out! I'm also really looking forward to seeing our maternity pics - maybe next week - I sure hope they turned out good!
For now, I am spending the day relaxing with my love and watching some college football! Can't wait to watch my horns play tonight! Hook 'em horns!

No comments:

Post a Comment